My in-flight and travel essentials

The other day my friends and I were contemplating booking flights for a holiday abroad. Although we're unsure of when we're going, planning holidays and looking at flights in general always excites me. Although I am not sure I will be so eager when I actually have to get on the plane! I have an incredible fear of flying and I am probably the worst traveller in the history of mankind. Travelling anywhere,on any mode of transport, even for short periods of time makes my stomach do all sorts of flips and turns. However, if I am prepared with all I need, it can make all the difference. So, I have compiled a list of the things I like to take in my carry on bag during a long haul flight to make it as relaxed and stress free as normal. 



Food and Drink

Water. Staying hydrated in general is always good for you but I think it's even more important during long haul flights. Sipping cold water also makes me feel so much better if I begin to feel unwell. 

Mints/chewing gum. My saving grace when I begin to feel queasy! Mint is my natural remedy for motion sickness (I nearly typed morning sickness, oops - it's good for that too!) but no, a little packet of mints is always a necessity for me when I go anywhere. Chewing gum also helps to make me feel I have fresh breath when I know I haven't brushed my teeth in a few hours. It's probably nice for the people around me too!

A snack. Being a picky eater means I always have to be prepared with a little snack.  It makes the flight a little easier and stops me getting hangry especially if you politely decline the inflight meal. (Pink lady apples or any kind of fruit are always winners in my book.)

The Comfort Factor

Cosy socks. I rarely feel the cold but the one thing I cannot stand is when my feet get cold, especially on flights where temperatures can fluctuate. A nice warm pair of socks is a must! My choice of socks for any flight are definitely The White Company's cashmere bed socks because they are so soft! Changing into these when I first get on the plane always helps makes me feel more at ease and relaxed. 

Comfortable slip on shoes. I find slip on shoes are an easy option for flying, especially if you find ones that are comfy. It also means you don't have to mess around with lace up shoes when you need to pop down to the bathroom. Cocorose London do some lovely plimsolls. I have the Clapham rose gold loafers which are incredibly comfortable and they are so handy because they fold up neatly into a little zip bag.

Jumper/hoodie. If I want to relax, sleep or watch a film, I like to keep cosy and a fleecy jumper or a warm hoodie is perfect for keeping you at just the right temperature.

Travel pillow. A must have when you are trying to catch 40 winks. They come in all shapes and sizes but, personally, I find the Ultimate Inflatable Travelrest pillow is the best. I struggled to find a traditional travel pillow that i liked because they all tend to fit around your neck which I found didn't help me get any sleep or feel at all relaxed. I liked this one because you can hook the string around your seat belt so it won't go anywhere and it can lie across your body so can you can cuddle into it (aww!) as well as having the perfect sized spot to lay your head on. It can also be inflated and deflated quickly and is easily rolled up to a nice size to be placed in your bag. 


A moment of zen

Book/Kindle. A must for when the movies are over and you want a moment of calm. 

Notebook and pen. I am a visual person and I work best when I can write things down, doodle or make lists on the move so I always make sure a nice handy sized notebook is by my side. The one I carry with me was given to me as a gift from a little girl I know. It says 'share your unique gift with the world'  and 'I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world' which really is so lovely! It also shows a picture of a woman going heels abeen on a bicycle... I wonder which she thought was more like me when she bought it? 

Colouring book. I find colouring so therapeutic and perfect for that moment when you need a little bit of 'you' time. I have a mini mindfulness colouring book which is perfectly travel/handbag sized. 

Eye mask. A life-saver when you want to get some sleep. It also gives a subtle hint to everyone around you that you are going to take a rest. Olivia Von Halle silk eye masks are a delight to wear and they come in some quirky designs too (they even include a handy drawstring bag.)

Ear plugs. Ear plugs are definitely a necessity when you find yourself in a noisy environment and trying to catch 40 winks. They are inexpensive too! 

Entertainment accessories

iPad/iPhone/laptop/charger. My laptop or my iPad is always useful when I want to chill, watch a movie, or get caught up on work.

Power station. One piece of technology I would definitely recommend. I first got a Mophie when I had to take the train for 8 hours at a time. My phone would never last the duration so this turned out to be so useful for all those times I couldn't get access to power source. The one I bought features two USB ports which allows you to charge two devices at once - even better!

Headphones. I always feel in my own little bubble with my headphones on and it helps me relax in a situation where I am really feeling anything but relaxed. Whether it's watching a film, listening to music or blocking out the sounds of someone else in the cabin, headphones are a must. I use Frends Rose Gold 'Taylor' headphones because I found they are a lot more effeminate looking than others. I also find wearing headphones considerate to people around you. They don't want to hear any spoilers of this week's episode of Gilmore Girls.

Camera. To picture the moment. I use a Canon eos 600D DSLR camera or a Fujifilm Instax Polaroid.

Beauty-fly yourself.

Makeup/makeup wipes. Self explanatory. I tend to not wear makeup whilst on the flight because I like my skin to breathe. I do, however, like to cleanse and apply subtle makeup before just before landing. I tend to not use makeup wipes everyday because they really dry your skin out but on an aeroplane, they are the easiest option. I use Simple 'Kind To Skin' cleansing wipes.

Clear cosmetic bag. A clear cosmetic bag is so useful when flying because items within it can clearly be seen by security at the airport when checking over you bag. I managed to pick up a couple earlier last year from Marks and Spencer's. They are edged in a lovely rose gold and were inexpensive so definitely worth investing in. 

Some of the things i like to carry in my cosmetic bag;

-Toothbrush and toothpaste - I have the Sonic Chic Urban Starlight electric toothbrush which is perfectly travel sized and ideal for freshening up when you feel the need to. 

-Perfume. Jo Malone 'Nectarine blossom and honey' is my all time perfect scent. It's handy 30ml bottle is perfectly travel sized and ideal to spritz on yourself in order to freshen up in a small space.

-Lipbalm. The air con on aeroplanes plays havoc with my lips so I always like to ensure i have this with me! Evolution of Smooth 'Acai and blueberry' is my choice of lip balm because it smells so good and it really does feel nourishing on your lips. 

-Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. Probably one of my favourite beauty products and it even doubles up as a nice lip balm!

-Clinique moisture surge, extended thirst relief moisturiser. This handy little pot of moisturiser is a dream when the air-con dries out your skin.

-Peel away Face mask. For when you want to have a little pamper time.

-Blister plasters. When you are prone to blisters, like I am, these little legends are your saviour. I carry Compeed blister plasters in my handbag every day but I also like to carry them in my carry on bag because they alleviate blister pain so quickly and they come in all shapes and sizes to suit your needs.

-Anti-bac gel. Again, this is something I like to carry in my handbag everyday but also in my carry on. Bath and body works have some amaaazing smelling anti-bacs if you can get your hands on them. They make having clean hands a dream! The one I have at the moment is 'Honolulu sun'. You can imagine why I want to take this on holiday with me. It smells delicious.

-Tissues/Wet wipes. Cheap and cheerful and very useful. Whether it's for sticky fingers or mopping up a little spill. They are always good to have at hand. You even get some lovely fragranced wet wipes! The one I have smell of strawberry laces :)

-Feminine care. Always helpful to have at hand if you are at that time of the month. (Also useful to have in case anyone else needs one too!) 

-Hand cream. I wash my hands the whole time at home and at work so I like to make sure they are kept nice and moisturised. The hand cream I am currently using is Greenland fruit emotions, papaya and lemon.

-Deodorant. Because you don't want to be that person on the plane. I like to use a Dove roll-on because it really is 'kind to skin.' 


-Hairbrush, bobbles, Kirby grips Dry shampoo. I like to keep my hair as natural as i can on the flight so usually have it in a messy up do but just before deboarding I like to run a brush through my hair to liven it up a little and apply dry shampoo is necessary. It always makes me feel just that little bit better before reaching somewhere to wash it properly.












Miscellaneous 


Passport/passport holder. Needs no explanation, you're not going to get far without it. Keep it safe. Your passport holder is equally important. My one is from Ted Baker and features a zip compartment for coins or other small items, a clear pocket for holding identification and space for bank cards or other documents. It even has a small pen to help you 'take note.'

Sunglasses. Unless you're Beyonce, you won't need a disguise when you're getting off the plane and no-one is going to judge you for your under eye circles but if it happens to be nice outside when you land, sunnies are always good. My ones are prescription lenses and from Ralph Lauren.

Glasses. For the occasions when you want to see life in HD. I would hate to forget on my glasses because I need them to see any longer distance and also to drive with so I would be pretty useless without them. 

Fan. My hand-held fan is my little saving grace when I begin to feel unwell or too hot. You can buy them relatively inexpensively and a lot of them come with some beautiful designs.


Swimwear /spare underwear. Bring a bikini or swimming costume in your carry on because if you happen to arrive at your hotel and your luggage is lost, the last thing you want to be doing is chilling by the pool in the clothes that you've arrived in whilst everyone else hits the water. Also, if your suitcase takes a day or two to arrive, fresh underwear is a must. I can deal with wearing the same clothes for a few days but underwear is a different story.

Spare carrier bags. As anyone with motion sickness will tell you, a spare carrier bag never goes a miss when you're travelling! I will say no more about that! Spare carrier bags are also handy for any empties you collect during your flight or if you want to keep anything in your luggage separate. 

Medications. (Prescription & Non-prescription).


Any prescribed medication is always useful to keep in your carry on in case your luggage in the hold gets lost. I always carry my PillMate which typically includes a weeks worth of medication. I also carry extra just in case I get stranded or my flight is delayed.

-Antihistamines. Where would I be without these?! The ones I use are Benedryl Allergy 'effective relief in 15 minutes'. You can imagine why these are always in my possession, especially if I ingest or come into contact with things which are not so 'kind to my skin'.


-Paracetamol/Ibuprofen.  Just in case! :)


__________________________________________________________________________________



So, that is it! That was such a loooong blog post!
If you read all the way down here, I would firstly like to congratulate you because that was A LOT of information to digest. I would also like for you to leave a comment below, if you're feeling nice, listing your own inflight travel essentials because I love reading different ideas.


Lots of love,
Lauren
xoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in my dance bag?

Top 10 children's books