Stacks Coffee House and Bistro


Living in the far North of Scotland, it is somewhat difficult to visit or explore different coffee shops or restaurants. They are often few and far between, unless you live in the city.

However, I recently visited newly opened 'Stacks Coffee House and Bistro' run by mother and daughter duo Theresa and Becky Wymer in John O Groats. Having known the family for many years, I decided to treat my mum to lunch there one Sunday afternoon to support Theresa and Becky in their new venture. I also wanted to see for myself the hard work they had put in to their new place and to taste their hand crafted dishes.

What struck me as I first went inside was how rustic the restaurant seemed. It had a real modern vibe to it with brightly coloured surroundings and varnished wooden palettes on the wall with low lighting, which all added to the ambiance of the restaurant. Subtle hints to local heritage were also displayed around the coffee house with old iron tractor seats at the tables and the center pieces paying homage to their namesake - The Stacks of Duncansby. An array of furniture was displayed across the area with mismatched seats, tables and benches which seemed to fit the space particularly well. Some tables were placed on different levels which gave the idea that you had your own seperate 'booth', rather than sitting on the lap of the person beside you! A large, cast iron, log burner dominated the centre of the room which gave the space a sense of 'home'.

The old iron tractor seats used in the restaurant.
Table centers in the shape of the Stacks at Duncansby.




The service here was prompt but didn't feel rushed because, even though the coffee shop was buzzing with locals and tourists alike, the atmosphere was very relaxed which really made such a difference. The menu had some quirky dishes on it but I decided to try a flatbread with hot smoked salmon, rocket and horseradish creme fraiche. This was very unusual for me because I always stick to things that I know and love and I am not a fish lover at all, so I must have been feeling brave when I ordered! Although, looking back, I am so glad I did! It was de-li-cious! I am such a picky eater so trying new foods is always a make or break for me but I as I tentatively tucked in, I was pleasantly surprised with just how good it was! Even the curried seasonal coleslaw was a hit, much to my surprise! Mum ordered the soup of the day which was 'spiced apple and ginger', in keeping with the theme of Halloween, and this was accompanied by a freshly warmed homemade cheese scone.

A flatbread of hot smoked salmon on a bed of rocket and horseradish creme fraiche
During lunch we managed to catch up with some of my mum's friends who were also visiting the restaurant as well as chatting to Theresa's husband, Andy, who spoke to us about his wife's life long dream of opening a coffee shop and Becky's love for cooking. It was clear to me that it was a family business which relied on the skill set of each and every member, and it was also apparent that they each brought something different to the table (pun intended)! Although Andy was not in the forefront of it all, he was still very much a part of the shaping of how the coffee shop thrived behind the scenes. It was he who had to get up and sort out generators when the power tripped not even five minutes later!

Price wise, I would say, you get what you pay for. Everything that arrived on my plate was made from fresh, local produce and skillfully crafted by Becky and her team using their training and knowledge of cookery. For the soup, flatbread and two drinks it was around £20.00 which I think is very reasonable.


For anyone venturing North in the coming year or stopping off at John O Groats as part of the 'North Coast 500', I would strongly recommend going to Stacks Coffee Shop and Bistro, not only because I know the family who run it, as I could say that about the majority places within the surrounding area, but because it is a hidden gem of a place with a team of individuals who have a real passion for food and creating and delivering a service in a relaxed environment which is unlike any other in the North of Scotland.




Becky (L) and Theresa (R) have had a long term dream of opening a coffee shop


_________________________________________________________________________________





So that's my first restaurant review. Let me know what you think.

Lots of love,
Lauren
xoxo





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in my dance bag?

Top 10 children's books