Makeup haul and review - February 2017









To make up for my absence last week, I have decided to write two posts this week. 💖

Last weekend was the long weekend from work. So, I took this opportunity to go on a spontaneous trip to see family and friends in Aberdeen. Whilst catching up with some of my favourite people, it also gave me a small chance to hit the shops. The shops in Aberdeen are unlike the one's we have in the Highlands, and you can pretty much find anything you are looking for, on your doorstep. Anytime I visit a large-ish city, I take this as a good opportunity to refill or re-stock my make-up collection, to try out new things and see what works best for me.


 So, I decided this week that I would have a little chat about my most recent makeup purchases.

YSL Touche Eclat foundation - BR20 - this is by far one of my favourite foundations for everyday use. If you're skin is having a good day, then this foundation provides a light to medium coverage of foundation which doesn't feel heavy or 'sticky'. I keep coming back to this little beauty because it blends well and applies to your face like a dream.


YSL Touche Eclat radiant touch - to be perfectly honest; I wasn't a fan of this when it first came out. It wasn't until I was shown some hints and tips in how to use it that I use it almost everyday or anytime I'm going out. Applied above the eyebrows, under the eyes, down the bridge of the nose and across the 'cupids bow' is where I apply it and this, I feel, helps to give my face a natural highlight.





YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer - A new product for me. I was coaxed into buying this because it came along with the radiant touch highligher. This primer has light reflecting particles so will give you a natural dewy glow without being too much and also feels so beautiful on the skin - I don't know how anyone can't love it!


Nars Sheer Glow - Mont Blanc - When my skin is having a bad day - I like to refer to my Nars sheer glow. It's coverage is fan-tas-tic! I use Mont Blanc for everyday use and Santa Fe when I have a tan. It blends beautifully, doesn't feel 'heavy' and really does give your face a natural 'glow' without looking like you've got a shiney forehead. 'Shine bright like my foreheaaad.' 





Too Faced Boudoir Eyes eye pallette - I was given some money for my birthday and what better way to spend it than to buy this little pallette from Too Faced. The colours in it are so beautiful and exactly what I would use everyday but are enough for me to ramp up the intensity for evening wear too. Definitely worth the money I paid as the shadows are so pigmented, they don't 'crease' on the eyelid when applied for a length of time and also blend so well together. It was my 'go to' on the night of my birthday and for weeks after. Love!


Urban Decay Naked Skin weightless complete coverage concealer - I bought this concealer when I was in a rush and didn't really have to time to browse and look around. The girl at the Urban Decay counter in Debenhams is always so nice to me and she recommended it and I have it used it ever since! It covers any blemish particularly well, has a nice creamy consistency which doesn't feel too heavy on the skin and lasts throughout the day. Definitely recommend!


Urban Decay cream lipstick 'disobedient' - My mum actually gave me this lipstick. I don't know what she was implying by giving me a lippy with the name 'disobedient' 😉😇 Lipsticks as you will see from how many I bought recently 😳 are one of my favourite items of makeup and I find Urban Decay cream lipsticks are so vibrant in colour and so easy to apply. I can't wait to use this one in Springtime because I think it is the perfect pink for Spring!


Urban Decay metallized 'peyote' - The reason I bought this lipstick was because it was very similar to one of my old favourites. It is easy to apply, the perfect nude to accompany a statement eye and I have a feeling I will have to repurchase this lipstick when I run out. Love!


Benefit Ka Brow cream-gel brow colour - I was a little hesitant to try 'gel' brow colour because I like my brows quite natural and thought that I could only achieve this by using a powder. However, I heard good things about Benefit's Ka-brow cream-gel colour so decided to give it a go. I was not disappointed! It has a staying power of up to 24 hours - I am pretty certain that if I didn't take it off at the end of the night, it would still be on there in the morning so it does do 'what it says on the tin'. The handy little brush it comes with is ideal and it applies so well and is buildable so you can get the look you want.


Dior Iconic overcurl waterproof mascara - I also heard raving reviews about this product but I have to say - I was a little bit disappointed. I deliberately bought the waterproof mascara for attending a wedding (because I know I will cry!) but when I tried it out I found it wasn't very 'waterproof' at all. I really, really, really, really, wanted to love it so continued to use it but I feel the consistency is too 'stodgy' 😥 I have a feeling I might just revert back to my old friend 'Loreal telescopic'. 


Topshop Lipstick 'devotion' - That one time I went into Topshop and bought lipstick instead of clothes. My bad.😕 I wasn't all that enamoured with the colours of lipstick in Topshop but I decided to purchase 'devotion'. It is so creamy and has quite good 'staying power' which I find really hard to find in lipsticks. Definitely well worth the £7.00 I paid for it and perfect for wearing in the evening.


Charlotte Tilbury lipstick 'bond girl' - Another lipstick I enjoy wearing in the evening and one of which I am looking forward to wearing in the Autumn. Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks are beautiful and have great staying power without drying the lips!


Charlotte Tilbury lipgloss 'hall of fame' - Anyone who knows me will know that, throughout my youth, I was very much a 'lip-gloss' kind of girl rather than 'lipstick'. Therefore, I have had my fair share of finding a decent lip-gloss that has all the right attributes and one that I will keep coming back to. This one, I have found, is by far my favourite! It doesn't make your lips feel dry, the consistency is dewy and you can wear it on is own for a natural look or on-top of your favourite lippy for a more vibrant look. I would recommend this lip-gloss to everyone! 😁


Charlotte Tilbury lipcheat lipliner 'Hollywood Honey' - To accompany my lipstick, I bought the lipcheat liner in Hollywood honey. It really does do a great job of keeping your lipstick on point and they come in so many beautiful colours! Lots to choose from and I just adore the names in the collection - so cute! 



Chanel le crayon kohl 'graphite' - I love the creaminess and colour of this eye liner. It doesn't stray outwith where you want it to and gives a nice defined line. It's 'staying power' is quite good but not excellent. I would buy again :)

MAC satin lipstick 'Brave' - I have wanted this lipstick since forever. I love the shade, the creamy texture and the name of it! It reminds me of the Disney film, 'Brave', which is set in the Highlands, so I felt I had to get it for this if not for anything else! It is such a beautiful colour on and I use it for most everyday makeup looks.


MAC satin lipstick ' Viva Glam II' &

MAC satin lipstick 'Faux' - to be quite honest, I bought these two lipsticks because I was low in the 'nude' lipstick collection so whilst on a late night online shopping spree, after finishing college work , I came across these two and thought why not? I wear these lipsticks most days but especially Viva Glam II - it is probably one of my favourite lip colours from MAC! Love!

Bobbi Brown BB cream SPF35 - extra light - Again, this is one of these products I found anticlimactic. 😕 I really, really, really, wanted to love it but the consistency is quite odd. I say that in the nicest way. It has the lightness of a BB cream and incredible coverage but once it's on, it feels incredibly drying and the coverage fades. I'm not sure if it just sits on the surface of your skin or whether the SPF has something to do with it but I wore it to work one day and ended up quite patchy. Needless to say I haven't worn it since. I might give it another turn in summer so we'll see how it goes!

Bobbi Brown eyeopening mascara Black - Love this mascara for dramatic eye effects. I especially love using this mascara over my false eyelashes because the bristle have a cooling effect on your eye and the brush is big enough to cover each and every eyelash without clumping. Will definitely buy again!





Bobbi Brown lip colour 'Party Alice'- I got this as part of a gift set at Christmas time from Bobbi Brown. The colour is beautiful and the texture on your lips feels so velety and smooth! I think I will have to look into more lip colours from Bobbi Brown in the future! Love it!


Bobbi Brown skin weightless powder foundation 'warm ivory1' - I often find that powders can be quite brash and feel heavy on my skin. However, the weightless powder by Bobbi Brown really was quite silky and weightless on my skin. Provided good coverage on top of my foundation for a natural look. Will definitely buy again!


Bobbi Brown Highlighting Powder 'opal glow' - Love this product! The right amount of 'highlight' and 'blush' in one! It's pigmentation is so beautiful and it applies so well without needing a lot.


Bobbi Brown creamy concealer 'Ivory' For anyone with under-eye circles as bad as mine, this product is a must have. Until I had come across this concealer, I had tried countless others which didn't really 'do' it for me There was always a downside to them. I was so glad I came across this! First of all I apply the Bobby Brown corrector in 'light bisque' to get rid of any discoloration from veins under my eyes and then I apply the concealer which really does brighten and bring back the natural colour under your eyes. The concealer even features a handy little pressed powder in which you can apply to make sure it stays there all day long. :)


Real Techniques by Sam and Nic sculpting set - I have used Sam and Nic's Real Techniques brushes for a while now having bought both the originals and the bold metals some time ago. I thought, however,  it was time for a revamp so decided to purchase the skulpting set. I, as yet, have not tried any of the brushes but I cannot wait to get started! Both the skulpting brush and the fan brush look amazing and the setting brush might come in handy when I'm setting my concealer!


Real Techniques by Sam and Nic brush cleaning palette - I've had my eye on this for a while. 👀 I have always used MAC brush cleaner to primarily take most of the foundation etc off my brush until I give them a deep clean every 2 weeks. It wasnt until my foundation had started to stain my Zoeva foundation brush that I thought I would give this handy little palette a go! I bought it on Saturday so as of yet, I haven't tried it but it is soo useful that it comes with a little sample of brush cleansing gel to try too!


Real Techniques by Sam and Nic mini miracle erasing sponges - these little beauties caught my eye because, I am known to be that person who spends ages doing their makeup only to blink at the wrong time during mascara application, sneeze or cough and before you can say 'ahhhhh choo' it's half way across your face/eye/nose/eyebrow - wherever you like. As soon as I saw these, I thought I just had to have them. They are, to me, tiny little beauty blenders for the little (or large in my case) mistakes you make when applying your makeup.



_________________________________________________________________________



So that's one post out of two for this week!
Let me know what you thought or what you want to see in the next few weeks. I really do like to hear what you think!
Lots of love
Lauren
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in my dance bag?

Top 10 children's books